9 Mar 2000

Educating Children at Home (by Alan Thomas)

I was going through a phase of reading as much as I could about home education, and there weren't very many books based in the UK. This one by Alan Thomas was recommended on one of the discussion lists I was on, so I bought it.

'Educating Children at Home' is really a summary of lots of research, with facts and figures about education at home in Britain. There are some useful references too, but I found the whole book rather dry: one to be dipped into rather than read straight through.

Still, it was encouraging to see examples of what could be learned by children and teenagers at home, even when no teaching takes place.

Recommended for anyone who has doubts about the efficacy of home education. But note that the author is an academic, and the book is not a particularly easy read. 

No comments: