12 Jul 1999

The Sacred Diary Trilogy (by Adrian Plass)

The 'Sacred Diary Trilogy' by Adrian Plass comprises:

'The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass age 37 3/4,
The Horizontal Epistles of Andromeda Veal,
The Theatrical Tapes of Leonard Thynn

This is at least the third or fourth time that I've read these books, and they're still brilliantly funny!

The first book is in diary format, originally written for a column in a Christian magazine. Adrian pokes gentle fun at himself and the evangelical church, making some profound points with humour and depth. It's one of the few books I have read - and re-read - which makes me laugh out loud every time.

The second book in the trilogy is a series of letters from a small but determined girl who is in hospital, where she hopes to right all wrongs in the world. I find this amusing in places, and it's very cleverly written, but it's not as good as the 'Sacred Diary'.

The third in the trilogy is different again, featuring a play that Adrian's church decides to put on. The first time I read this, I was so surprised and tickled by the climax to the story that I had tears of laughter running down my face. That could only happen once; but I still love this book.

Adrian Plass is a master at making some excellent and thought-provoking points masked in humour, poking fun at the quirks of the evangelical church in a gentle way.

Very highly recommended, so long as you appreciate the subtleties of British humour!

Not currently in print in this format, but this can sometimes be found second-hand. The individual books are also sometimes available separately.

No comments: